Wednesday, May 09, 2007

72. Victoria Wood's Empire and My Detective Blues

VICTORIA's EMPIRE. (BBC1)

So far Victoria Wood's three part series Victoria's Empire has been a winner. In her unique manner she has discovered a great deal about what put the Great into Great Britain. I believe her original opinion was that you cannot go through life apologizing everywhere for the sins of your ancestors. It soon became clear, however, particularly in her examination of British involvement in the slave trade, that the truth does not always sit comfortably.
There were times when she was visibly upset at the dire legacy left by our empire building forefathers.
I hold to the view that there is much in history to be regretted but I cannot change it. Dwelling on the injuries of the past is a pointless exercise and pandering to those who would have us all wearing hair shirts is a nonsense.
Anyway, there's more than enough violence and injustice going on in the world right now. Better start composing our apologies for that. Nobody else will.

DALZIEL & PASCOE (BBC1)

The first of a two part story concluding next Sunday. Warren Clarke is back as Dalziel and Colin Buchanan is (as he has been since 1996) the long-suffering Pascoe. Here they are joined by Richard E. Grant who, no matter how silly the plot may appear to be, will guarantee everyone else acts their socks off to keep up with him.

HOLBY BLUE. (BBC1)

In my wife's The Mail on Sunday - I describe it that way for fear of being mistaken as the purchaser - that much admired and experienced critic Jaci Stephen gave The Last Detective a right roasting. 'Even Roger Daltrey from The Who...didn't manage to alleviate the boredom,' she opined.
Gosh. I didn't think it was that bad: guess I'm just easily pleased.
I wonder what she thought of the Beeb's new series Holby Blue?
Perhaps I shall have to suffer next Sunday's Mail to find out.
I thought it was everything she thought 'Dangerous' Davies was.
I thought it was stereotypic tripe which not even Tim Pigott-Smith could save.
I thought: NYPD Blue it ain't!

No comments: