Sunday, June 03, 2007

75. Favourites, hoaxers and welcome encouragement

ENGLAND v BRAZIL (BBC1).

"What did you think, then?" I asked the cat Shadow. "1 - 1 with Brazil and our lot should have won."
He had spent the Friday night match curled up in my Leader's chair, she having taken convenient leave of absence to visit relatives on the mainland.
He stretched: "Why do friendlies nearly always end in a draw?" he asked. "Is it compulsory to gift the away team a goal with barely a minute to spare?"
"Didn't really matter did it?" I said. "Ol' Becks was back and he played a blinder."
He eyed me quizzically. "Steven Gerrard was named man of the match, wasn't he? And John Terry didn't have a bad game, either."
"Yes, well..." I started, but he was ahead of me as usual.
"All right, all right," he said. "Even if one Becks may not make a summer, one Becks did make this game."
Then, to restrain further comment, he added: "Pity they all fell asleep in the first half, though. In no time at all, so did I."

NCIS (Five)

This coincided with the football on BBC1 so thank technology for the old video recorder. I'll record on DVD when I can work out how or, failing that, when baby Boo becomes old enough to show me. Give it another couple of years.
Anyway, Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) and his crew were under pressure from the customary hard-headed female defence lawyer and from yet another unwell-wisher who can magically stalk their H.Q. without the slightest difficulty. (I know...)
Lovely, quirky Abby (Pauley Perrette) is again the victim of unwelcome attentions in Bloodbath and eventually sorts things out in her own unbelievable way.
At 21/24 of series three these favourites are going far too quickly.

DOCTOR WHO (BBC1)

The conclusion of The Family of Blood. A great romp with lethal scarecrows. This continues to be a completly different Dr. Who from its predecessors and truly deserves all the plaudits it has received. It is becoming hard to think of the Doctor as anyone other than David Tennant now and Freema Agyeman is perfect as his travelling companion. If this cracking standard is maintained, who knows? One day Doctor Who could rival The Mousetrap.

EVEN THE HOAX WAS MORONIC.

So now the Big Brother producers say that their sick idea about a woman donating her kidneys to a fellow house member of her choice was a hoax designed to draw awareness to the shortage of donors in Holland. Well, even the hoax was moronic and my original opinion of them has not altered. Twats!

YOU SHOULD NEVER SHUN ENCOURAGEMENT.

Way back last December I commented (apropos an anonymous comment by some apparent malcontent to the TrippingOnWords girls) that I would delete out of hand any anonymous comments sent to me. Well, I have drawn the line at deleting my old friend John A. for obvious reasons. (1) I know who he is and (2) his comments are encouraging and you should never shun encouragement. What's more, he tells me that he is unable to record a comment on my posts without signing in as anonymous. I assume that's maybe a Blog Ed manoeuvre to warn me from which direction the arrows are coming. If so, thanks Blog Ed whomsoever, whatsoever and wheresoever you may be. If not, no matter, thanks anyway.
My e-mails this week have included encouraging murmurs from daughter Jac and from nephew Phil. So what they're relatives...their pleasant words were much appreciated. Like I said, you should never shun encouragement.

No comments: