Thursday, April 16, 2015

2. (23) NEXT TIME IS HERE.

THE OTHER HALF. 
Stop press. Yesterday I tried to publish a lengthy blog post and was duly chastised by Google Blog. The section reproduced below looked as though the “We don't do the editing” editors had smacked me on the head so hard that my legs concertinsed. i.e. It was a bit squeezed up! (Check the last two lines.) 
I tried to remedy the situation, but eventually realized I was on a hiding to nothing and withdrew. (A bit like Suez in 1956.) 
Anyway, here is that other half with – I hope - improved printing.
TELEVISION.
The Detectives
Longmire is back and still a programme worth the watching. 
Fortitude ended in a mishmash of fantastic incredibility: My Leader and I shook our heads and asked: “Is that it, then?” 
And Vera, the most improbable CDI in Britain, continues to impress as probable, thanks to the brilliant Brenda Blethyn who, to me and a worldwide viewing public, would be credible in any part she cared to play.
The Rest. 
The Musketeers departed in a rattle of steel and a popping of single shot pistols. (Marc Warren stole the show as loathsome Rochefort.) I enjoyed it but it was very much Boys' Own stuff. 
It is followed by a returning Atlantis, which is also very much Boys' Own stuff: I shall enjoy that, too. Show me an old guy who's not a big kid at heart and I'll show you a sad old guy. 
The death of author Terry Pratchett has led to the reshowing of a couple of his televised stories. The Colour of Magic featured David Jason as the world's worst wizard, Rincewind, together with the Luggage, the Librarian and a hugely formidable supporting cast. I found it enjoyable, but thought it lacked the wicked humour that is the trademark of Sir Tel's books. (I also - and some may regard this as sacrilege - thought that Martin Freeman should have been Rincewind.)
Going Postal was another brave attempt that somehow missed the mark. Lovely cast. (Sir Tel himself came on at the end - speaking role, too.) But there was a faintly laboured feel about it all. I just don't think it was the best Discworld example with which to finish a film trio of the great humorist's work. That's the trouble when you've read his books, though, ain't it. 
READING. 
Re-read some Pratchett and M.C. Beaton and have started on Noddy Holder's The World According to Noddy and on Sir Terry's Men At Arms. Keep an eye on this space if you're at all interested. 
I'm off again now. 
Plenty of reading to do. 

No comments: