Sunday, May 31, 2015

2 (27) IN LESS THAN A CENTURY VI.

ADVICE FROM A BALD-HEADED BARBER.
The sixties (continued)
So there we were. Middle of the swinging sixties. Two children and a roof over our heads. Not much else. Still, compared to many we were lucky. I certainly was: my young wife had great legs and it was the age of the mini skirt. Financially, though, we were treading water and close to sinking. I had reached the lofty grade of Higher Clerical Officer: the salary was not enough to support a growing family. It was hardly enough to justify a car (even, as it was by then, a little Austin A30), let alone my monthly haircut. But the car was a snip from a friend of my mother and the haircut was an impossible to avoid essential: impossible to avoid because there was a very competent 'short-back-and-sides' barber in the road alongside the office and essential because no self-respecting ex boy soldier would go around with hair like a dosshouse drunk.
Anyway, I liked the barber. Didn't know his name - or he mine – but he always greeted me with: “How are you, sir? And how's the wife?” 
My response to both questions never varied: “Fine, thank you.” This exchange was enacted long before I met Maureen or had any notion I might ever marry. Never asked why he thought marriage suited me; perhaps it was my worried look. 
He had an interesting background which included a spell at a barbershop on Portsmouth Town Station. The senior barber at that time had been a Mr. Morris, a Russian Jewish immigrant justifiably proud of his sons, Aubrey and Wolfe Morris, who were actors.
Such little snippets enlivened our conversation as my barber snipped along. If required, he finished off the haircut with a shampoo which, he maintained, had to be done twice in succession if it was to nurture the hair. He was bald, so it was hair-care advice from a bald-headed barber. 
Did I take it seriously? Of course I did.
 Elsewhere in the world a bunch of people whose barber was probably a 'stylist,' the Rolling Stones, had a huge hit with (I can't get no) Satisfaction. Never did work out why Mick Jagger had that problem. 
In my case it was down to the tightly monitored staffing grades and levels imposed on Executive Councils by the Ministry of Health on behalf of the taxpayer. There was no promotion to be had at Portsmouth; if I wanted a pay rise we would have to move. In the event, Malcolm X had been assassinated, Twiggy had been named face of the year and England had won the FIFA world cup before such an opportunity came along. 
In 1968 experienced officers were invited to apply for the post of Deputy to the Clerk of the Isle of Wight Executive Council (NHS) at Newport, I.W. I applied and, to my surprise (because I never, ever, interviewed well), got the job. 
I reported back to my boss at Pompey with the words: “So you were right when you thought a man who came here from the army wouldn't stay long.” 
He laughed. “How long ago did I say that?” 
It was eleven years. 
We finally moved on 1 July, 1968. I had then been the Island E.C.'s Deputy Clerk/Finance Officer for three months and was beginning to understand the ins and outs of it.
 It took longer to take up residence in our new home (though house buying at that time was not the traumatic experience it is now), but we eventually settled in Wootton Bridge, a village three miles from Newport. The commute was an easy one; there was very little traffic on the roads over here in those days. 
We quickly settled back into the routine of young family life (few concerns outside survival and bathing the kids). 
When, on the 21 July, 1969, Neil Armstrong said: “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” it barely registered that the swinging sixties were swinging to an end. 
The Barnden family had its own giant leap to consider. Maureen was expecting our third child. 
(Oh yes, I remember the sixties.
HOME. 
The election. Went. Voted. Same wet plank with a blue rosette got in. Never accuse islanders of unpredictability.
BOOKS. 
Have read: Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death, by M.C.Beaton, a bread-and-butter yarn from a prolific writer (well, writers have to live, too) and am reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett and A Spy Among Friends (Philby and the Great Betrayal), by Ben Macintyre. More later on both. 
Mind how you go. 

No comments: