Saturday, October 31, 2020

Post 373. BACK TO NORMAL THEN.

OR IN MY CASE
MOSTLY CYNICAL.
I have never been a party person. Don't particularly like dinner groups either. Small talk eludes me and I invariably find myself faced with the guy who knows twenty five alternative routes to Slough, or believes he makes the definitive cup of tea, and insists on sharing this joyous knowledge with a captive listener. I no longer drive and if I did there is no way I would be driving to Slough (come friendly bombs), no matter how charming it may now have become and, by the same token, I make most of the tea in this house for my Leader and I (hers 'gnats' - mine 'builders') so require no lengthy diatribe on boiled-not-boiling water, heated teapots, loose leaf or bag, standing time, bone china cups, or whether the milk should go in first or last. I try not to offer people unsolicited advice and would prefer they kept their dubious 'expertise' to themselves. That particularly applies to the plethora of know-alls on television. Ah, yes!
TELEVISION.
I avoid most chat shows now. They have become home to the vaguely journalistic 'broadcaster', failed politicians (which of them isn't?), any television face who has a book to sell, actors flogging their latest project, and people with a grievance about some -ism or other.
God what a pain they all are!
Among the morning offerings, Jeremy Vine (Channel 5) has been devoid of the man himself for the past fortnight (half term I guess). Anne Diamond stood in for him, so I watched it. She was good: the guests were the usual bunch. Nothing to get excited about.
Don't bother much with him since he started bobbing up and down to a blackboard like a demented schoolmaster: give him a schoolmaster's pay for a couple of months, that'd stop him short. He'll be back next week. I'll have something else to do.
TRYING TO ADJUST.
That bloody hour.
So now I'm up at eight a.m. making a morning cuppa. That's a nine o'clock job when you're an oldie. Why do the silly sods do it? Back an hour: forward an hour. Why?
Well the cynic in me says they do it because they can.
They make clocks change time simply to prove that they have the power to bugger the populace about.
But me no buts.
AND FINALLY
Forgive me if all the above has been rather negative. It has been a sad month and a particularly shit final week.
But we in this house are blessed with each other and three lovely animals.
If you're a friend, thanks for being one.
If you're not...well...y'can't please 'em all.

No comments: