Saturday, September 10, 2022

Post 444. SAD BUT NOT UNEXPECTED.

THE DEATH OF HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II.
AN ELDERLY LADY WHO DID ME NO HARM.
We were watching when television cameras at Balmoral showed the Queen inviting Liz Truss to form a government. It was a brief picture, but Maureen turned to me and said: "The Queen's looking more and more frail since Philip died: I can't help wondering how much longer she's got in this world." As this world now knows, it was barely a couple of days.
Whilst I commiserate with the Windsor family on their sad, but surely not unexpected, loss, I did not meet, or ever see in person, Queen Elizabeth throughout her entire reign; so I shall no more travel to place flowers against the wall of one of her palaces than I would go up the road to put flowers against the garden wall of a suddenly demised old neighbour I had never known. 
I regret her departure though.
I think what you saw was what you got with her. She saw through the creepers and had a degree of sympathy for the army of tongue-tied nobodies who landed in front of her year by year. I think she would have been both touched and appalled at the colossal reaction to her death. I think, too, she would have (probably always has) seen the funny side of what this country does better than any other in the world: producing an army of determined somebodies, in a variety of  suits and uniforms, to carry out weird and wonderful routines because they can. Nothing stops it.
In her own steady way I think Queen Elizabeth II has ensured nothing ever will. That's Britain.
I hope in death she will find whatever she hoped she might and will rest in peace.
I shall always think of her as an elderly lady who did me no harm.

No comments: