Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Post 455. ONLY A FEW DAYS

 SINCE I LAST SAT HERE.

BUT IT WAS A SHORT MONTH.
November, as usual, has been dark and uncertain and seemed to be over before it started. My customary winter gloom has not been helped by the ghastly cold and cough which I now seem to have shaken off (though the cough still lingers with Mo). I don't want anyone, not even Chris Packham, to regale me with the wonders of the season.
And don't tell me Christmas is coming. If the latest statistics are to be believed, there are now fewer Christians in Britain than there have been at any time since the dearth of paganism. I still believe there are lies, damned lies, and statistics, but as a C of E educated boy who, over many years, has concluded that most of the ills in the world are caused by politics and religion, I can understand how belief in Christianity will have faded. Britain now has far  more religious varieties resident within it, too. Our society has gone bonkers. Not always for the better, but there you go.
Today I learn that a doctor in a West Sussex practice is living over two hundred and fifty miles away in Cornwall, and dealing with her patients online. Took me back to my NHS employee days over here when a doctor from a Cowes practice set up home in Freshwater, a 30 minutes (14/15 miles on winding roads) drive from the practice. Questions were asked loudly and angrily, not least by his practice partners. What did the fellow think he was doing? There was hell to pay.
I can't recall the outcome, but I don't think it was a happy one
We used to say 'nothing changes.' Now everything does.
Back next month if you're one of those nice people who still looks in.

No comments: