Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Post 465. STILL TAKING IT EASY

 WELL, WHY NOT?

WHEN YOU HAVE A BUDDY LIKE THIS,
It has been gradual but inexorable, the cat Angel's decision to befriend me. I put it down to our old pal Shadow's influence. He, as any regular reader of this blog will know, was my constant companion for many years, and his spirit still strongly exists here. At an early age I was firmly advised by my father that I should not believe in ghosts. "If you can't see it, it ain't there." Perhaps as a consequence, I have never seen a ghost. Ghosts are for people who want to see them.
But I do believe in spirits: for all, not just human, creatures. So I believe the spirit of the cat Shadow, along with that of our dear Roz (who would have celebrated her fifty third birthday last Sunday), are still here with us, and will be until we, too, become spirits. I'm happy with that.
ENDEAVOUR.
So that's it then. No more real ale, Times crossword, and elderly Jaguar cars. No more unfathomable (other than by our hero) murder mysteries and obscure classical music.
No more dah dah, dah dah dah, dit dah dit, dit dit dit, dit.
Or, for those not familiar with the code, no more Morse.
The last Endeavour episode did occasionally present as a tortuous attempt to tie up all the loose ends. Those who saw the last episode of Game of Thrones will know what I mean. But this was saved (as has often been the way) by the credibility of the entire cast. A wonderful team effort.
We saw it right through and then watched the denouement where cast members from every adaptation (Morse, Lewis, Endeavour) got together for the final farewell. Fascinating. Who would have imagined that Shaun Evans (Morse) has a north country accent, that Sara Vickers (Miss Thursday) is a Scot, or that Sean Rigby (DS Jim Strange in Endeavour) would one day become James Grout (Chief Superintendent Strange in Morse). Ah well: all good things...
GARY LINEKER.
I don't know the man. I have not been a football fan since the glory days of  1948/49 Pompey  I think every celebrity (however well meaning) should take a breath before spouting in public.
But so, I believe, should every touchy race, creed, or clique that leaps to take offence on their own or another's behalf  no matter how tenuous the connection.  Give us a break. Shut up. 
And let Gary Lineker continue to enjoy freedom of speech. After taking a breath, eh?
Even if he never did play for Pompey.
Keep warm. Keep safe.    

No comments: