Tuesday, November 21, 2006

48. A star in America too!

WINSTONE THE WINNER.

I know it is not seemly to crow when you've got something right.
(Well, not unless you are Peter Pan it's not.)
But sod Peter Pan, today I am crowing!
In my post Some Actors Don't of 29th October, 2006, I expressed the view that Ray Winstone is a star.
And there is news this morning that Ray has won an Emmy for Vincent.
Jubilation!
It is the equivalent of an English boxer going to America and winning on points!
Except that Ray did it in the only way you can over there.
He knocked the opposition cold.
Few British actors do.
He did.
So, for what it's worth, well done Ray Winstone.
A star in America, too!

NOT SO MUSICAL.

The Sound of Music must have become sadly dicordant over the weekend for new singing star Connie Fisher.
The hills were alive with the sound of Sunday Scandal hacks.
Ignore 'em, kid.
They are talentless and exist only to pour shite on success.
Nobody of any consequence takes the slightest notice of them.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING.

The final part of Peter Jackson's film trilogy based on the J.R.R. Tolkein books was shown on television at the weekend.
My Leader gave it a miss this time.
Too manic, too bloodthirsty, too intense and ultimately too sad.
The cat Shadow slept through it until it was time for supper then went off to beat the bounds.
I sat transfixed for the second - maybe third - time around.
Nothing could have pulled me away from the incredible battle in which Orlando Bloom overcomes an attacking mammoth with its entire warrior crew and John Rhys-Davies bellows: 'That only counts as one!'
And to think that at my age I am excused paying the licence fee.
How good can it get?

No comments: