Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Post 342. MADE A FEW NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS...

KNOWING I'LL NOT STICK TO THEM. 
This year I have resolved:  
1) that I will severely limit my television viewing. 
2) that when yet another reality show nonentity is described on the box as 'a celebrity' I will not say: "Christ! Really?" 
3) that I will find some good in everybody except, possibly, the overpaid professional foulers on football fields. 
4) that I shall try to refrain from automatically translating the words 'the government' into 'those useless bastards' and that
5) I shall eat less, exercise more and refrain from the sort of invective I would never have used on a drill square way back in my army days.
What? Oh, I know I'll not stick to any of those resolutions. We've experienced over a decade of austerity and have just voted for another five years of it. If you don't curse about that you're a bloody saint. 
THAT BOOK.
  

Freshly revised edition. 
In super quick time the edit of the first print of The Badgers of Deep Wood, my story for children aged nine to ninety nine, has been acted on by our son and cover artist, Neil (Godbless'im), and the freshly revised version - cover above -  can now be obtained on Amazon kindle via Google. 
Not much else I can say except that it's an easy read and I hope some of you will give it a go. 
MY READING.
Philip Pullman. I reached the end of Mr. Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth: The Book of Dust Volume Two and found myself hoping he's far enough through Volume Three for me to still be around when it's published.   
Anthony Horowitz. I finished reading Alex Rider: Ark Angel and am just starting Snakehead, another story in Mr. Horowitz's  Bondlike boy spy saga. They're the sort of yarns everyone who scribbles thinks they can write. They can't.
I have also started reading Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling: it's a long one so lord alone knows when I'll finish it. 
To add to that, among my Christmas presents are two books of short stories by classic murder story writers and Play All, by Clive James, 'a bingewatcher's notebook.' My cup is full.
FINALLY.
Our daughter Jac says I am still unreachable by blog comment. For anyone who would like to get in touch I can be reached on dennisbarnden30@gmail.com 
But, as you can see, time (to quote General Orde Wingate) is the enemy. 
So I'll not reply to unwell wishers. 
Anyone else I'd love to hear from. 
Go safely now. 

No comments: