Saturday, January 09, 2021

Post 379. NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS.

MADE ANY HAVE YOU?

I TRY NOT TO. Can no longer be bothered with promises I know I won't keep, even to myself: though I must admit the temptation is there. This year I was tempted to resolve the routine switching on of my mobile (cell) phone every morning. I may have resolved that last year, too. It didn't happen. I forget and it doesn't seem all that important. Hell, nobody is going to press the red button because I'm not on my mobile. Friends can always phone me on the land line. Few do. A great deal of my NHS career was spent on the phone placating disgruntled members of the public, mollifying the more demanding of doctors, ignoring the frequent incandescence of (mostly ex RN officer) dentists, and sympathising with put upon pharmacists for the multiple scrutiny their professional competence underwent. So I have not been a particularly keen or sparkling telephone conversationalist since, nearly 32 years ago, I retired. 

AND AS A CLASSIC FM LISTENER

YOU NEVER STOP HEARING that Ts and Cs apply. It is advice that concludes the majority of Classic FMs multifarious adverts, to none of which I ever listen. I also blank the 'this is me' ramblings of the handful of presenters who have drifted over to commercial broadcasting since it was ruled that the income of high earning BBC presenters would be publicised if they were not simultaneously employed by another broadcaster: dual employment apparently labels them freelance and shields their earnings from publication. I honestly don't give a toss how much any of them earns. I do wish they wouldn't keep reminding me who they are, though. They (and all the bloody politicians in the country) should be better known by what they purport to do than by name. Their names really do not matter. Inside a year after their departure, from whatever post, they'll be forgotten by all but those closest to them. As Jimmy Durante once sang: 'fame, if you win it, comes and goes in a minute.' So make someone happy, you lot. Stop reiterating who you are. At the beginning and the end is quite enough. Politicians should only be named when they've cocked up of a job: most of those in the UK government would qualify.          


AND IN AMERICA.  

THE SILLY BUGGER DID IT. Yes, departing President Donald Trump finally pushed a few hundred of the inbred sociopaths who support him into attacking Congress. What did he think he was doing? And what sort of country gifts an egomaniacal reality television tosser such power? Well, it showed the world on Wednesday. Anarchists with guns. Only this wasn't the OK Corral in 1881, you gun-happy morons, it was Capitol building in 2021.

You're a big country.

Do grow up.   

 

 

No comments: