Monday, June 06, 2022

Post 430. THE ROYALS WILL SURVIVE.

THANKS TO AN ELDERLY LADY

WHO HAS DONE ME NO HARM.
If you are one of those discreetly discerning people who regularly looks in on my meanderings you will know that "an elderly lady who has done me no harm" has for years been my jocular accompaniment to the words Queen Elizabeth II. It may have suited neither the pomp of royalty nor the fawning fiddle-faddle of those who unashamedly kowtow, but it has not been badly meant. I am no unquestioning royalist. Given a pair of scissors anyone can cut a ribbon. But I once articulated my slightly facetious "...who has done me no harm" quote to a vague supporter of royalty whose immediate response was: "Nor good" and realised that, true though that was, it did not change my outlook on the Queen. I would rather ensconce a royal in a castle than raise the portcullis for a politician of whatever ilk. Just look at what Trump did and what Putin is doing. Just consider what an undesirable country this became when Oliver Cromwell held the reins. The further away from symbols of power you can keep politicians, the better.
Since we stopped monarchs cutting people's heads off and kept them in their place they have been much safer denizens of castles and palaces than any drawbridge crossing politicians would be. For what it is worth, I think the lady pictured above has probably, in the politest way possible, told more than one British Prime Minister to stop being such a bloody idiot and, if only in that delightful possibility, has surely determined the survival of the royal family in Britain.
Well, she has done me no harm. Have I said that before?
AND BACK AT HOME.
SOME CONFOUNDED CLOWN has been sending telephone messages to people as far away as Reading and Oxford giving them our number and asking them to ring us. It now appears that other homes in this village are being pestered by presumably the same unknown pain in the arse's handiwork. There was a time when the instigators of such lunacy were sought out, sectioned, and shut away in asylums. What price progress?
Will chat again later.
Don't ring.
  

No comments: