Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Post 463. THANKS TO RESOLUTE STAFF

MANY FROM OTHER COUNYRIES

ALL WENT WELL.
So I am back at the computer only slightly the worse for a couple of nerve-racking hospital visits in the last couple of weeks. Nerve-racking? Well...yes,  I am fearfully uncomfortable in hospitals.
My discomfort at the hospital aura probably stems from my innate hatred of the bully masking as a disciplinarian. When I was a boy there were a lot of policemen of that ilk. Schoolteachers, too.
And hospitals back then were run much like an army unit. There was the equivalent of the top commissioned rank who was called the Consultant and the equivalent of the top non-commissioned rank who was called the Matron. The Consultant (of at least lieutenant colonel grade) had a posh accent and, while in the patient's presence, talked about rather than too her or him: this was accomplished via the ward sister (senior NCO rank) who was considered better to speak for the patient than was the patient her/himself. The Matron (RSM) meantime cast a steely eye over the blanket uniformity of every bed. Even the Consultant spoke politely to her.
Things have changed. The NHS, is another world now. The SDEC staff charged with my treatment (hydration) up to and after the CT scan last Thursday were from the Philippines. A young married man, Earl (family been on the island two years: has an eight year old daughter and six months old son; is happy and well settled  here), and Daisy, a charming young woman about whom I know less: she chatted with Mo who was able to remain with me for everything but the actual scan. The atmosphere was friendly, helpful, and reassuring. Everybody knew their job and knew it well. Our little team was on the go without pause. Without them and their like the NHS would have collapsed long ago. Let no xenophobic twat seek to drive them away!
Well, in our hospital pomp and ceremony seems to be a thing of the past. Good riddance too.  
I don't even mind that people to whom I have not been formally introduced now call me Dennis.
I've been called worse things. 
AND I KNOW I'VE SAID IT BEFORE
BUT BEST KEEP SCHTUM.
Rather than indulge in straightforwardness. I wrote about that last August (Post 441).
Now the easily offended are turning their erasure culture on the long ago written word.
Common sense tells me to keep schtum on the subject. You can't argue the past with those who are clearly becoming the future. But when I hear it rumoured that a head teacher is banning certain books because their content may contain material - or even a word - that could give offence, or that publishers are being leaned on to 'amend' certain words in new editions of old classics because some poor sod may be mortally damaged that a word like 'fat' was written in it  fifty years ago, I feel bound to abandon the gag.
People who want to change a word in a book are one step away from people who want to ban a book are one step away from people who want to burn a book. And dictatorships burn books!
That's my lot for this short month.
Mind how you go..

  

No comments: