Monday, June 26, 2023

Post 478. FURTHER REFLECTIONS

WITH AN OLD CD.

TO END A POP MUSICAL MONTH
And what better than with The Hollies 20 Golden Greats: an EMI CD of 1978 which has arguably never been bettered. It was the original Hollies, with Allan Clarke as lead singer, and I like every number on it. When I kick the bucket, if my family want a song with which to see me off at the crematorium, I'd suggest I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top would be most appropriate: it perfectly sums up the feelings of an old man who, in 1962, had the good fortune to marry exactly the right girl. That self-indulgent disclosure apart, as pop songs go it's a helluva good one.
Well, the IOW festival came and went and so, this weekend (via the BBC for non ticket holders), did Glastonbury. We had 55,000 fans and Robbie Williams, Glastonbury probably had better than 210.000 fans and Elton John. We had Jarvis Cocker, Glastonbury had Yusuf/Cat Stevens. The majority of the music on offer, both here and at Glastonbury, was not to my taste. Unimportant.
Hundreds of thousands loved it and good luck to them, and to those who entertained them. I've only developed a preference for the classical genre as I've aged. Shan't grow out of it now. So to:
THE PROMS
FROM 14 JULY TO 9 SEPTEMBER.
No of course I won't be there. Have never lived near enough, and don't go far beyond our corner shop nowadays. Maureen has gone to the mainland to see her remaining sister today. Jac and Mike have taken her in the car. I like Marg, but doubt I shall ever venture across the Solent again. You have to recognise your limitations. That's by the by, The BBC Proms are back next month and, though sadly lacking most of my (Post 476) recommendations, are looking pretty good. I just hope they'll put young Benjamin Grosvenor on television, not banish him to bloody Radio 3: his droll lack of histrionics is totally British. His musicianship the nonstop honing of a natural gift. 
More about it all when it's underway. I hope it won't be too 'modern.'
If you're a Promenader, have a great time.
 

No comments: