Thursday, June 29, 2023

Post 479. CHANGED MY MIND.

PURPORTEDLY A WOMAN'S PREROGATIVE.

WHICH, SURELY, IS A SEXIST MAXIM.
So why am I publishing this short post before the month ends when I had intimated that Further Reflections was to be my last until July? Changed my mind. Noted that the cat Spike had commandeered my chair at the painting desk and became, like the lady (unknown to me) in the picture above, in something of a quandary. Move Spikey and clean off the white fur left in her wake? Or eschew sexist mores and change my mind? No choice really. No painting on the stocks. Contented cat keeping old man company. Simple solution: if you write, write!
TELEVISION.
We continue to watch it, if only from behind a book or newspaper. Some of it is still worthwhile. The second series of Before We  Die (Channel 4) is hugely watchable if you like Lesley Sharp  We do. Though in this drama her character, Hannah Laing, is probably the most bull at a gate mess-up of a detective ever written into any cop show anywhere. Two series will be enough.
Currently the battle of the champions is being played out on Countdown (also Channel 4). These are people who know words the dictionary barely knows and can match Rachel Riley at maths.
I wrote reports and worked with figures for years: these champions are way out of my league.
But it's all very minor when compared to happenings in the real world. Callous coastguards leave hundreds to drown. Innocent civilians lunching in a Ukrainian restaurant are murdered by Russian rockets. A French policeman shoots dead an unarmed boy, and an abortive mission is launched to attempt the rescue of a not-fit-for-purpose mini submarine which, it turns out, has imploded.
No wonder we seek shelter in harmless quiz shows.
And this is as close as I'll come to one of these.
Careful how you go. 

No comments: