Saturday, September 30, 2023

Post 487. WENT TO THE DENTIST

 AS A BIRTHDAY TREAT.

THANKFUL WE'RE STILL NHS PATIENTS.
Counting my birthday blessings. Mo, walking with a frame but sound behind a steering wheel, drove us to Ventnor for a dental check-up. Tim Fradgley did his usual polished job. We departed, heavy of foot, and lighter in heart and pocket, I think the bill under private arrangements would have been awesome, though neither of us was in need of major attention..
The practice staff were great. Could not have been more kind or attentive.
Sadly this country is heading the American way, and I doubt NHS dentistry will last much longer.
But where was I? Oh...yes...the birthday. Messages from family and friends, cards, and gifts.
I now have a new computer chair, the complete piano concertos (on CD) of Beethoven played by Jan Lisiecki with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, two books that could not have been better bought had I chosen them for myself: Piano Man, a Life of John Ogden by Charles Beauclerk, and Piano Competition: The Story of the Leeds by Wendy Thompson with Fanny Waterman and, as if that's not enough, a brand new black beret for when I'm being artistic.
For the record, I think I look less like Pablo Picasso than like an old Frank Spencer. So to...
SIXTY ONE YEARS OF MARRIAGE
CELEBRATED WITH THE ABOVE MESSAGE.
From my beloved, a sad but true reflection, and one to which anybody who has watched Jeremy Vine on Channel 5 with me recently will readily attest. I still look in if the handful of people who do not bellow or shriek are in evidence (e.g. Yasmin Alibhai-Brown,, Owen Jones, Kevin Maguire, Geoff Norcott): otherwise I leave it. I eschew UKIP, 'broadcasters', and 'former journalists,' too.
I can't stay grumpy for long, though. Lord, there can't be that much time left! Fact is, when Ellis put together the new computer chair and rather admired it I advised him not to buy one for himself: he may inherit this one sooner than he thinks. I'm getting fun from it now though.
See what I mean about the beret?
Go peacefully, you.
Try not to crash your career with crass comment. 
 

No comments: