Monday, April 23, 2007

70. Let's hear it for technology!

ON A PERSONAL NOTE.

At the outset I regarded this blog lark as a bit of Lone Ranger thing. Took it for granted that you just knocked out a few lines, clicked publish and committed the lot to the ether to go unnoticed by one half of the blogging world and ignored by the other. So I was no little surprised to hear last week from a friend with whom we lost touch all of twenty years ago. Helmut is Austrian and lives in Vienna. Seems he caught sight of me on the blog - surely a startling sight for somebody not prepared for it - and, once he had recovered his equilibrium, took the opportunity to e-mail. It was nice to hear from him after such a long time and it looks like I may even have another reader now. Including my Leader that will make around half a dozen that I know of. Hooray!

MORE THOUGHTS FROM A TOO CLEVER CAT.

"You're too clever by half," I said to the cat Shadow when he magically appeared as I was filling his food dish.
"It's a cat's senses thing," he replied airily.
"And was the Man. United - Roma result a cat's senses thing, too?" I asked. "You said you hoped United would get a load of goals in that Champions League return and they didn't disappoint. 7 - 1? Blimey!"
"Oh, according to the word up on the roof it was predictable," he said. "Let slip the dogs of war, didn't they."
"Now you're showing off," I said. "So I guess the win against Watford had to be a foregone conclusion, too."
He shrugged and I blinked foolishly. I can never keep up with his infuriating ability to convey a wordless reprimand for a pointless remark.
I put his food dish down.
"Here you are," I said ungraciously. "Looks like the Red Devils are well on their way in all the competitions, anyway."
He waited in front of his dish, as he always does, until I had stroked his back and murmured the customary: "There you go then."
"They didn't beat Portsmouth, though, did they," he said. "Out of their last four games at Fratton Park, Pompey have won three. Old Harry Redknapp can make a team out of anything. Well, he has to, he can't afford the boot-kicking Scot's sort of signings."
I left him contentedly filling his face with expensive catfood.
It took will-power but I resisted kicking his too clever backside.

NOW THE TECHNOLOGY BIT.

Son Neil has sent us a film of a mouse and a bird simultaneously attacking a food container in their Cornish garden. He has named this little masterpiece Tit Mouse! and the following link may enable you to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPciedliT5s

Let's hear it for technology!

No comments: