Sunday, April 08, 2007

68. One aged failure and two old favourites.

THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. (BBC 2)

Yes, David Frost is back again with the show where, according to the Radio Times: "Celebrity panellists put their heads together to identify the homes of the rich and famous."
Trouble is, the 'celebrity panellists' mostly only meet the modern reality game show definition of celebrity (unknown but confident) and the 'rich and famous' are far more the former than the latter.
The programme has now been extended to three quarters of an hour, which allows time for the lovely Stefanie Powers to look over the house of a (probably 'resting') showbiz person in America - a process carried out giving every clue imaginable as to the resident's identity short of actually using their long forgotten name.
As for the British homes, I have been pushing the cleaner around in my Leader's absence because if some of their owners are famous, so am I! Our unstately home could be on the next series. I wouldn't lay any odds, though.
Sadly the format of this old chestnut remains, like its presenter, boring and repetitive. It should be scrapped and he should retire to his stately pile. Has that ever been seen on Through the Keyhole?
No?
Well, if it ever is, don't bother me.
I'll be out making the tea.

EGGHEADS. (BBC2)

I like the Eggheads. Oh, the show is pretty much the sort of thing that I would usually avoid, but I happen to like the Eggheads themselves and sometimes wonder if I am the only twit in the country who does not obtain a spark of malicious pleasure when, very occasionally, they are beaten.
Strange though it may seem, one of the reasons I find myself siding with them is that they are very much the underdogs in this cunningly manipulated posh pub quiz. Everything is weighted in the challengers' favour. Choice of opponent, whether to go first or second with the questions, knowledge - through viewing past programmes - of the particular Egghead's weak subject and, last and very much least, the programme host, Dermot Murnaghan (a refugee news reader) whose totally one-sided presentation leaves no doubt that he just can't wait to see the clever buggers beaten by somebody...anybody!
In fairness, I do not think Mr. Murnaghan alone is responsible for this "let's beat the smug know-alls" attitude. I feel that those manipulative little sods behind the scenes may have something to do with it, too. Perhaps I am being paranoid, but have they advised challengers whether it will be better to go first or second? Have they suggested loud, open discussions on the Eggheads' perceived strengths and weaknesses? Have they encouraged the challenging team's wild applause and noisy support not only when one of them gets an answer right but when an Egghead gets one wrong?
(We-e-ell, it's good television, innit?)
Meanwhile the unflappable Kevin Ashman answers, briefly and correctly, almost every question put to him. Dear, deceptive Daphne Fowler twinkles as she dispatches yet another rash victim. Ol' Chris Hughes wraps up the simplest answer in a welter of (invariably correct) verbiage. Judith Keppel clearly struggles as the Murnaghan-baited fish-out-of-water and CJ de Mooi, whatever hairstyle, is himself: a laughable, knowledgeable, dismissive, vulnerable, occasionally sulky but mostly likeable young man with an impressive IQ. (He and I would be unlikely to get along but I'm an old man who has to look up IQ in the dictionary.)
I shall continue to watch Eggheads, continue to support the home team and continue to hurl abuse at the leprechaun of a referee.
Don't tell me I should get out more.
I know.

NCIS (Five)

I make no excuse for mentioning NCIS again. It continues to stand way above the majority of the opposition if only for the talent of its scriptwriters. Tonight's episode started with a weekend emergency which brought our team hurrying to Leroy Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) and his by now typecast haircut. There followed some deft throwaway lines culminating in an exchange between Abby (Pauley Perette) and Agent Gibbs which starts with Abby marching in, military style, removing her helmet and giving a left-handed salute:
Gibbs: Wrong hand, Abbs.
(Abby salutes again, right handed)
Abby: Permission to speak freely, sir?
Gibbs: You always do, Abbs.
Abby: I know, but I've always wanted to say that.
And finishes with:
Abby: Thank you, sir!
Gibbs: Don't call me sir.
Abby: Thank you, ma'm. (Exits)
(Gibbs grins)
We grinned, too. This clever, funny, thoughtful show stays high on our don't miss list

No comments: