Friday, March 23, 2018

Post 289. TODAY IT'S TENORS.

 
THE Original TENORS.
 
 
 
 
 
All three of them.
 
 
Midst news of another radicalised head case


gunning people down in France, nations at
 
 
each other's throats over political interference


from a social network, trade tariffs widening the


ever increasing gap between America and China


and murderous machinations in the spy world,
 
 
I am back at my desk in the real world: the little
 
 
Steepletone is doing its stuff. And today it's the
 
 
Original original three tenors: Enrico Caruso


(below right),Beniamino Gigli (above) and Jussi


Bjorling (below left).
 
Gigli was the first operatic tenor I ever heard on
 
 
record (old vinyl).
 
 
I had listened to Richard Tauber and Webster
 
 
Booth on the wireless of course, but Gigli was
 
 
something else again. Bjorling was a wonderful
 
 
Swedish tenor and Caruso was the benchmark for


the lot of them, and is to this very day. But I 


particularly liked Gigli. The little man had touches


of individuality(hear the last note of his Che gelida


manina) and I thought he was magic. Still do.
 
 
 
Where I picked up this CD, though, I have no 


idea.
 
 
You'll probably only get the later three now.
 
 
Well, they were pretty good, too.
Dare I say it?
 
 
 

Almost as good as my three.

 

No comments: