Saturday, March 24, 2018

Post 290. WHEN IT CAME TO SINGERS.

GEORGES GUETARY WAS GOOD, TOO.
And far better than most.
 Back at my desk I have the above pictured CD jauntily playing on the Steepletone.
I always liked Mr. Guétary (born Lambros Vorloou of Greek parents in Egypt) because, a naturalised Frenchman, he was more French and a far better singer than most of his contempories in the light music business.
I first heard him in 1947 when he was playing opposite Lizbeth Webb in Vivian Ellis's Bless The Bride at the Adelphi Theatre in London.
The show ran for 886 performances.
He then went on to star with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron in An American in Paris, his one and only American film. I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise was the best number in that film and his was the best ever performance of it.
I always thought he stole the show and I don't think Hollywood ever quite forgave him.
Georges Guétary continued to give concert performances right up until his retirement to the Riviera at the age of eighty. He died, aged 82, in 1997.
So why, when old pal Ian Dillow has emailed me the name Mario Lanza (below), have I chosen a singer from operetta, rather than an opera, as my listening choice today? Well, counter tenor Georges may have had a lighter voice than bel canto Mario (who I also have on CD), but I think Georges was probably the nicer person.
Can't say more than that.
 

No comments: