Wednesday, September 27, 2006

5. A few random thoughts about some people I have never met

A few random thoughts about some people I have never met but who have constantly entertained me over the years.
For a start there is the actor Alan Rickman, a wonderfully hateful Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films.
How can anyone help but admire a man who, in 1988, had Bruce Willis running barefoot through broken glass and in 1991 cancelled Christmas.
What a worthwhile chap.
If he'd never done anything else I'd still like him.
I have liked the inspired casting of the Harry Potter films from the outset and nobody but the late Richard Harris, when he was being carried out on a stretcher past people waiting to go in to dinner at the hotel where he was staying, would have pushed himself up onto his elbows and shouted "It was the food."
What an exit line.
While making mention of the departed, the wonderful Mary Wesley never failed to entertain.
She was seventy when her first novel was published and her writing was as fresh as that of a teenager. Compulsive stuff which you could not put down.
J.K. Rowling has the same gift.
It is late and I must finish with the admission that I am something of a TOG. One of the Old Geezers who listens in to Terry Wogan on the rare occasion when he is not on holiday.
His programme producer, Paul Walters, has been an excellent straight man to Sir Tel for as long as I can remember. Paul has been indisposed for some considerable time now and his quiet, dry rejoinders to the Irish presenter are much missed. Get better and get back soon, Mr. Walters.
I sign off like any TOG would,
Justin Thyme

No comments: