Wednesday, September 27, 2006

27. LES MIS.

The musical Les Miserables has been running for twenty one years this year and has been seen by over 58 million people.
My Leader and I saw it back in the days when it was at the Palace Theatre. The Jean Valjean we saw was very good but, sadly, was not Colm Wilkinson.
Some actors make a part their own and that is what Colm Wilkinson did with Valjean. He had the presence and he had the voice.
It has been said that upon hearing his first rendition of 'Bring Him Home' a fellow cast member whispered to a colleague: 'They told us it was a song to God. They didn't tell us God would be singing it.'
Now that's what I call a compliment.

TELESTUFF.

Last night ITV1 screened the last in the current series of Midsomer Murders. It was the usual 'Hallo Cully, what are you doing here?' routine (hear Terry Wogan) with the usual village hatreds run amok.
I gave up counting the murders years ago.
Now I just count the number of times some sadistic tele director sends John Nettles running after a suspect, climbing a long flight of steps, or plodding up to a house at the top of a hill.
Back when a young John was Jim Bergerac and slim and probably capable of running from one end of Jersey to the other, he was provided with a sports car which I suspect was a devil to drive on narrow country roads.
Now that an older John is Tom Barnaby, breathless after a long conversation, he is required to rush everywhere on foot and panting.
I don't think anybody has been trying to tell him anything. I don't think they dislike him. I think they're just a thoughtless bunch of twits.

Later last night The South Bank Show featured Robbie Coltrane. It was a pity that much of the programme came across as an extended trailer for Cracker next weekend.
Given the occasional opportunity to chat without interruption Robbie Coltrane impressed as a lively, forthright and likeable conversationalist.
He is also Hagrid in the Harry Potter films which means that I find myself smiling a great big smile whenever I see him.
Oh, J.K. Rowling spoke highly of him, too.
And that, in my book, is the highest of compliments.

Den Barnden

No comments: