Wednesday, September 27, 2006

12. Last night Proms on Four was introduced by Charles Hazlewood...

Last night Proms on Four was introduced by Charles Hazlewood who conducted the BBC Concert Orchestra and gave the audience a mixed bag of jazz and semi jazz, most of which was anathema to my untutored ears.
However, when it comes to music the glass is always half full, never half empty, and the mainstay of this concert for me was an early arrangement of George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue played by Kevin Cole.
Who?
Well exactly.
Apparently it was his Proms debut and, it transpired, was likewise the first time out for Charles Hazlewood who proved that you don't have to wear evening dress to do a fine conducting job.
You know the feeling when you just do not want a performance to come to an end? It was one of those performances.
I shall keep an eye out for any future appearances by Kevin Cole.
He was superb.
Shan't say much more tonight.
Did the running-jumping-walking-sweating-gawd-I'm-getting-old exercise E.C.G. at the local hospital today.
They never tell you anything but keep writing J.K., I gather I should be around to read the last Harry Potter.
Justin Thyme

No comments: