Wednesday, September 27, 2006

4. POttakers

I am wondering whether to change The Oldies title to something flip like Justin For A Chat or Thyme For Talking. I shan't ask your advice. Why should you care?
Tonight I'd not bother you with my ramblings at all but there's nothing on the tele and I have demolished the entire selection of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who...stories borrowed from the public library.
Indeed, the charismatic Jim Quilleran has become such an old friend I am thinking of asking him to dinner.
And, of course, we are still a magically diminishing time away from publication of the last book in the Harry Potter saga.
On publication nights we stand with our granddaughter in the car park behind the local Ottakers, renamed POttakers for the night, and at midnight we are ushered through to buy two hardback copies, one for her and one for us.
Mad? Of course we're mad.
Next morning we could buy them in a local supermarket for half the price.
But the midnight jaunt is worth it if only to savour the spellbinding excitement.
So keep writing, J.K., because at my age I do aim to read the last book and see the remaining films even if I am only
Justin Thyme

No comments: